Ivanchuk’s surreal reply to an odd question on chess genius was one of the highlights of the Nalchik Grand Prix.
Originally posted here:
Ivanchuk gave another weird and wonderful press conference, as reported by Yury Vasiliev of Chesspro:
A local journalist asked the “brilliant [genius] Ivanchuk” (as she put it) about who he considers chess geniuses. Vasily said it was a complicated question. And then he began to name names:
– Capablanca – definitely. Fischer – also.
– Alekhine? – someone suggested.
– Yes. Alekhine was “approved” by Vasily.
– And Tal?
– A mystery. I can’t give a clear answer yes or no. I don’t understand Tal.
– Among women?
– Judit Polgar
– And Magnus Carlsen?
– A big talent. But I wouldn’t be confident of calling him a genius.